Stockings have a very strong reputation for being incredibly sensual and perfect for the boudoir. But that really isn't giving them the credit they deserve.
Stockings are inevitably one of the first things that we consider when preparing any outfit that could be considered 'sensual' for a night out, or even a night in. But in reality, many women wear them for so much more than this.
Here are just some of the reasons women wear stockings - or at least, reasons they have told us over the years:
1. Alluring - No other piece of lingerie has had such an effect on the opposite sex for such a long period of time. There is no denying the alluring effect of stockings and suspenders.
2. Confidence - whenever we speak to ladies on the phone, we hear time after time that stockings give them confidence. When you know you are dressed in your finest attire, it is easy to feel good about yourself. We all have off days, and while stockings won't cure those times, anything that lifts our spirits should be welcomed.
3. Hygienic - it goes without saying that having a breathable form of hosiery means things don't get quite so hot. In some areas, cooler really is better.
4. Cost - although all of our stockings are from luxury ranges, stockings could be seen as more economical than tights - in that if you snag or ladder one leg, then you don't have to throw away both legs. For long term stockings wearers, this saving mounts up.
5. Tradition - in some countries, stockings are considered a traditional attire by some women. In France, for example, we have many customers who buy ranges suitable for everyday wear. Similarly, we find that in England, stockings are frequently considered the hosiery of choice for an evening out. We also have a number of ladies of a certain age who simply wear stockings because they always have. They have found something they like when they were younger, and decided to stick with it.
6. Vintage look - with everything in the fashion world going around and around, we have a number of customers who like the vintage look that seamed stockings in particular give them. We even supply the wardrobe departments of film studios around the world when they create films centred around the 1940’s-1960’s.
7. Good looking legs - whilst also applicable to hold ups and tights, if you never wear hosiery, then you may be suprised how good your legs can look when wearing stockings. You can really be specific on the look you want to achieve - from invisible but smooth, to shiny and seamed - and even opaques.
8. Tummy trimming - the suspender belt required to hold up your stockings has a wonderful side effect in that it has a certain amount of body control. The belt sits on your waist, and if your chosen one is of a good depth, then you get instant tummy flattening.
9. Fashion - stockings have been making a strong revival around the globe (we know, we sell to virtually every country), and stocking producers have been capitalising on this by creating some beautiful designs that range from polka dots (featured in Vogue recently), through to eye catching Italian designs. You no longer have to wear a safe style, instead, let your personality shine.
10. Safe - in comparison to hold ups, stockings won’t fall down. Your suspender belt (or garter belt in the US) has anything between four and eight clips that hold your stockings in place all day - they won’t go anywhere. Some ladies also find they have a reaction to the silicone band at the top of hold ups - stockings will avoid this reaction, as no silicone is required.
11. Brides - weddings are certainly one of the most popular special occasions for wearing stockings. The tradition of the bride wearing them also extends to the guests.
12. Dressing up - When we go out, or spend some time with a loved one, getting ‘dressed up’ in your stockings and lingerie is a special feeling. Most of us enjoy the feeling of wearing our finest shoes or dress, and that also extends to the stockings we wear.
In the words of one of our lovely customers, "I hadn't worn stockings for some time, and spent a while trying to work out what style was best for me. I knew I wanted something a little more glamorous than tights. I also wanted something that finished my outfit off. A nice dress and shoes seemed to warrant nice hosiery and lingerie too, so I eventually decided on a pair of Falke stockings (I had worn their tights many times). I actually did this for me, not for my husband, and I feel confident and a little bit special when I wear them. When talking with my friends who wear stockings, they all agree that once you have worn them, you will always see the attraction of them".
Stockings won’t save the world, or cure you of all your day to day problems, but they can bring a smile to your face and make you feel a couple of inches taller, just when you need it.